Monday, May 9, 2011

CONtractions

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, it was not until the late 1900s that the term, "contraction" was used in reference to the uterus in childbirth. Every mother can attest that when those contractions got closer-and-closer together before their babies made their grand appearance, it seemed that time stood still as each minute ticked by. And then, when it seemed mommy could not take another moment of waiting, the beautiful child, all slimy from his or her home en utero, came forth to make happy the home that was awaiting. I can attest to the fact that our  lives are much more fulfilling, because Josiah is here.

Being a new SAHD who resigned my almost 11 year position in higher ed., because it was our most practical option to care for Josiah in the home, I am becoming more familiar with an earlier use of the term, "contraction." Again, according the the Online Etymology Dictionary, this word was used to describe the act of making a contract in the late 14th century. I was blessed to work on a contract basis for a period of time following my resignation. Initially, the terms and rate of pay were unacceptable to me. I wondered whether the organization with whom I would prospectively contract, understood their need and my expertise. I wondered whether it was a test of my willingness to jump at just anything, because of our desperate financial circumstance. You see, choosing to have a parent in the home to care for a child instead of daycare, is a huge financial paradigm shift. It forces families to make real changes that are almost always difficult. Indeed, there are families in which one or the other spouse makes so much money that a resignation of employment by one is of no real consequence. Such is not the case in our home, but we're getting through it. When I refused the first contract terms, we negotiated a better rate of pay, which was nowhere near my value for the particular tasks assigned. But, there are people with whom I have worked in the past who needed my help and I felt personally responsible to them. Besides, it would not kill me to accept a contract that was not up-to-par. After all, we did need the money. At least, the turn around times built into the contract made it possible for me to spend quality time with Josiah, and get my work done too.

This brings me to my next point: You will notice that I capitalized the prefix, "Con" in my title. Definition number three in the same online dictionary, states that the verb, "to con" means to swindle. Hiring workers on a contract basis should not be an opportunity to get the best quality work/expertise for the absolute least amount of money someone is willing to accept. That's just not right. Even in desperate times and circumstances, contract workers can attest, that the terms should be respectful and fair. Obviously, there are many that are not stay-at-home parents who negotiate work contracts frequently, but I am particularly sensitive to the needs of SAHDs for obvious reasons. I would like to encourage you to remain committed to the care of your child(ren). Do not allow the financial realities force you to compromise the principles your family has chosen for childcare in the home. The road will be difficult and even scary at times, but God will help, if you ask. I implore those in position to write fair contracts, to do just that...write fair contracts. I am well aware that corporate budgets are tight. I am also aware that companies and organizations mysteriously find money to fund that which they deem important. So please, be honest and fair when you negotiate contracts. It is in your hands to help communicate a worker's value in a tangible way. You never know. You might find yourself in a similar situation one day.

1 comment:

  1. I am your newest follower. Congrats on becoming a daddy and having time to tell about it. I like your blog and the information you provide. Check out my blog http://CleverlyChanging.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment(s). The Man That Rocks the Cradle moderates each comment before it is displayed.