Monday, April 4, 2011

Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong

Far from the romance of the duet sung by Crocker and Warnes that inspired this entry title, is the sentiment behind it. As I was watching an archived episode of Lincoln Heights on Hulu about a teenaged boy who never knew his father, I was touched. I was touched, not in a romantic, gushing sort of way. For the few minutes that I watched him suffer, I was moved because his long-lost dad lied and called him a nephew when an influential acquaintance questioned his paternity. He was poised to assume a powerful position in the office of the Mayor and did not want the public to know he had a fling 17 years prior and had a son. At that crucial moment, it occurred to me that there are many boys who would give anything just to hear their fathers say, "I love you, son." Likewise, many daughters would give up everything to know their father's love. Certainly, it would be of much greater import for fathers not to merely voice their love, but demonstrate it.

As I look into the trusting eyes of our new son Josiah, I am more determined than ever to live the, "I love yous" that many have never experienced. I had a grown man visit my office before I resigned, confide in me with tears that he never experienced his dad's look of approbation in the way he saw me express mine to Josiah while feeding him a week prior. The man and I have that in common. The only time I recall ever hearing my deceased dad say that he loved me, was the week before he and my mom separated.

So men, please make yourselves and your child(ren) a promise, never cheat them out of the pleasure of being lifted by your love. Do not take for granted that they know, simply by your actions. Show AND tell them that you love them. Let your love lift them up to the cherished place that they belong.

1 comment:

  1. It is so true that many little ones, some now grown, have been cheated out of the pleasure of being lifted by their parent's love. The world reflects this to a great degree. I hope you start a trend that doesn't end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment(s). The Man That Rocks the Cradle moderates each comment before it is displayed.