Monday, February 14, 2011

I Ain't No Babysitter!

If you look up the definition of babysitter in any dictionary, you will find that the term applies to temporary caretakers while parents are away, NOT to fathers while mothers are away. Someone actually asked me if I was going to be babysitting our son Josiah while Simone went out. I quickly informed the gentleman that I do not babysit my own son. I realize that people may not have ill intentions when applying the term to fathers, but there is risk of a mentality coming with that term when misapplied in this way. Men can easily fall victim to the "how would mommy do it" syndrome. I mean, if somehow fathers reduce themselves to the level of a temporary caregiver, they may not be as present for ultimate care as they need to be. Fathers must own their decisions as grown, responsible men when giving care both in the mother's absence and in her presence. The ideal is that each child should receive a balance of care from both parents. Mothers and fathers each make unique contributions to the family unit in a way that even the best babysitters are unable, simply because there is a special bond between children and their parents.

Responsible fathers, you may choose to have a temporary caretaker's mentality, but I ain't my child's babysitter!

- Posted using BlogPress for iPod Touch from my side of the bed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment(s). The Man That Rocks the Cradle moderates each comment before it is displayed.