Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm So (a) SAHD!

Even though I cry on occasion, because of how it all happened, I am not sad about being a Stay-at-Home-Dad (SAHD). 


I may have taken for granted that my employer of almost 11 years would value my contribution enough to keep me around. I know what you're thinking: "He must have been laid-off. Otherwise, why would any self-respecting, able-bodied man be (a) SAHD?" Well, that is not exactly how it happened.

Simone and I have always been averse to the daycare idea. We decided that our little Josiah would need to be home with his parent(s). For years I have put forth strong efforts to make it possible for Simone to stay home with our child should she become pregnant. Besides the sort-of traditional planning that some men do, I became an author of three books, appeared on a couple of international TV broadcasts, appeared on several national radio broadcasts, became a Christian talk show host, was featured in a mainstream secular magazine, placed large ads in malls and national magazines, retained a well-known national PR firm, blah...blah...blah..., but none of these efforts got us to the place of financial independence. After nine plus years of marriage, Simone finally became pregnant and we both took three months of Family Medical Leave (read more). Once it became clear to me that there were no doors opening for Simone to be the stay at home mother we had both hoped she could be, I made request of my employer to extend my telework according to the most generous policy outlined in the employee handbook so I could work from home some days and she would do the same.  After some convincing, my boss supported the idea, and my two colleagues were on board already. We would continue running our well-oiled machine with a slight adjustment...or so we thought. When the request went up the line, it was denied. I was floored! "But the policy makes provision for this kind of arrangement," I mused. The reality always is that one's employer ultimately has the prerogative to apply or choose not to apply any provision in the handbook. So, with prayerful consideration, I returned to work with my resignation in-hand. It was an emotional roller coaster as I considered the reality that I would need to leave the position I had become an expert of. To make matters worse, many of my coworkers were outraged that this decision was made that facilitated my resignation. I don't blame anyone. Nobody forced me to leave. It was just that the reality of being paid a pittance in higher education made it necessary for the least of us, income wise, to resign. I may be doing some contract work for the institution...I will continue freelance writing...I hope to sell more books (click to help me out), but the fact still remains that I am no longer employed.

Does being unemployed make me sad? Well, I am getting over the shock of it as I snuggle into the greatest blessing a man who had a poor example of a father could ever have. I have the privilege of being (a) SAHD, fathering our son! We will sacrifice and make the necessary adjustments to make things work although our money is short. Without regret for resigning, I will thank God everyday for giving me the opportunity to make things right for my posterity. Without regret, I will look into our son's eyes as I care for him. Without regret, I will thank God daily for a wife who is making a tremendous sacrifice in our situation as we get things figured out for the future.

I don't have all of the answers, but I am becoming more and more comfortable answering this question: "What do you do for a living?" With a proud voice, knowing God is in control of our lives, I will now answer, "I am (a) SAHD!"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're already doing what a good parent does: Sacrifices for the good of the child--it takes a loving, caring and devoted father to do something typically reserved by moms...as a child of a father who didn't have much of a father example growing up, it is possible that a child growing up without a good dad has the ability to become a great one when his time comes.

    You are certainly taking the first steps!

    May God bless you, your child and mommy as you navigate this new chapter of your lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment(s). The Man That Rocks the Cradle moderates each comment before it is displayed.