Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Man's Work is Never Done

You most certainly have heard the English proverb, "Man may work from sun to sun, but woman's work is never done." And it's true. There are some men who go out, earn an honest wage and come home to a well managed home where mommy has thoroughly worked her hands to the bone. Her name is called constantly for love, support, homework, cleaning, cooking, nurturing, mending, ideas, emotional support, attention, holding, protecting, etc., etc... And this is before hubby lodges his complaints and makes his demands. Having been raised by a hard working mother, I am keenly aware that for millennia women have been overworked and underpaid. But is it possible that some men's work is never done? I definitely am not trying to steal hard working women's shine, but follow me.

I have had crazy days recently. Here's some of what I did: bottle feeding, nurturing, holding, comforting, teleworking, calming, washing, planning, folding, thawing, shuttling, mopping, bottle washing, loading, mowing, cleaning, smiling (you know you have to do that from time-to-time to support the family happiness), errands, fixing, bill paying, washing, folding, organizing, did I mention my crazy telework contract? Oh yeah, there were more errands, more folding, more washing, more telework emails, calls,  problem solving, one-handed typing, nurturing, consoling, sleeping (even planning for sleeping is work with a 3+ month old) etc., etc.

I am definitely not complaining.  I guess I am just putting in a good word for men who realize that there is more work to be done even after the paycheck is earned. More than that, I am lauding the endangered species of responsible fathers who have put our families first and not last. There is much more work to be done than my little laundry list of duties. Responsible fathers do it all, by the grace of God, so our children have the best possible opportunity to have life (eternal, that is), liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I have to go. Baby Josiah is scooching (it's an intransitive verb...look it up) too far down while trying to catch his uncooperative feet and swallowing both fists whole. I have to go pick him up before he succeeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment(s). The Man That Rocks the Cradle moderates each comment before it is displayed.