Monday, April 11, 2011

Paternity Test Not Required

There have been many times when I have been somewhere with our son, Josiah and people have looked at his little face and said, "He looks just like you!" Often my pithy retort has been, "Well, I guess we should cancel that paternity test then." I thought of it as a delightful joke, but it occurred to me that someone might actually take me seriously and question my wife Simone's faithfulness. So unprompted, I recently promised her that I would stop taking for granted that people could sense the obvious humor here. The sad fact is that so many fathers are only revealed as such, due to paternity testing.

According to the American Pregnancy Association, one of the top three benefits of the $400 to $2,000 cost for paternity testing is that it strengthens the bond between father and child. I don't need to tell you that there are countless instances where paternity is in question and court, domestic, and even political battles burn furiously until the truth is revealed. When I was a pre-teen, daytime talk shows were rife with gratuitous, temper flaring episodes like, "You ain't my baby daddy!" And right before commercial breaks I would hear the announcer say, "If you don't know who your baby's father is, would like to have free paternity testing, and would like to appear on our show, please call 555-555-5555." My heart goes out to those who find themselves in that situation. I am well aware that there are reasons other than a woman having multiple sexual partners that make these tests necessary, but it seems this is the predominant use in America.

So, my responsible contribution to this subject is to say that my Simone is a wonderful wife and mother, Josiah is the child we have prayed for, and we a paternity test is most certainly not required.

Buy Pampers Sensitive Baby Wipes Refills, 192 Count Packages (Pack of 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment(s). The Man That Rocks the Cradle moderates each comment before it is displayed.